A dental crown, or cap, is a restoration which covers the entire visible portion of the tooth. Crowns work to restore the structure, appearance and strength of damaged teeth, and to protect the teeth from sustaining further damage. Dental crowns are custom-made to fit your teeth and smile, and may be made of several different materials. The most popular type of dental crowns are porcelain crowns. Made from porcelain material, they mimic the color of natural teeth to produce a more natural and aesthetic result.
Before providing you with a dental crown, our experienced restorative dentist will examine your mouth thoroughly to determine the full extent of the damage to your tooth and whether a crown is the most appropriate treatment for your needs.
What are the advantages of porcelain crowns?
These tooth-colored dental crowns are the smart and strategic means of retaining and restoring the natural feel and appearance of teeth. Porcelain crowns not only help restore a weak tooth that requires repair but is also a useful and aesthetically pleasing option. Here are some of the advantages of porcelain crowns:
- Matches the natural color of teeth
- Provides sufficient durability and sustainability
- Forms a long-lasting bond between enamel and the dental crown
When would one require porcelain dental crowns?
A porcelain dental crown is designed to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Porcelain crowns are unique due to the fact that they are tooth-colored, making them virtually undettectable once placed. This makes porcelain crowns an ideal option for restoring damaged teeth.
A porcelain crown is required in the following scenarios:
- Teeth are often brittle and sensitive after a root canal procedure. It is customary to seal the tooth and cover the repaired ones with a restoration. A dental crown is the ideal restoration.
- In situations when an onlay may not be the perfect solution for broken teeth, dental restorations such as crowns will be able to restore the damaged tooth.
- Crowns eventually wear down an dneed to be replaced. Porcelain crowns are recommended due to their natural appeal and aesthetics.
Request an appointment with our restorative dentist, Dr. Sung Lydon, for more information about dental crowns in Irvine, California, by calling Lydon Dentistry at 949-660-1321.